[Posted by: Carmel McNamara, IOS Press]
Amsterdam, NL – Join the EPL webinar on September 20, 2022 which will be led by the EPL Editor-in-Chief Bharat H. Desai, PhD, and panel of experts to discuss the recent decision of the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) to recognize the Human Right to a Clean, Healthy, and Sustainable Environment. Read on for details and free registration. If you cannot attend, we will share a recording of the webinar in due course!
Register for free webinar on September 20, 2022
At 08:00 (EDT) / 14:00 (CEST) / 17:30 (IST) | Register here
The journal Environmental Policy and Law (EPL) and IOS Press is pleased to invite you to join this webinar.
The United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) adopted a landmark resolution 76/300 on 28 July 2022 on the human right to a clean, healthy, and sustainable environment. It follows the Human Rights Council resolution 48/13 of 8 October 2021. This EPL webinar seeks to make sense of the global significance of this advent of this normative development soon after the Stockholm+50 Conference (2–3 June 2022). The timing of the webinar coincides with the commencement of the high-level segment of the 77th UNGA in New York.
The discourse with a panel of eminent scholars and practioners will provide an opportunity to: (i) explain the context and significance for celebrating the UNGA’s (and the HRC) emphatic recognition of the human right to (clean, healthy, and sustainable) environment for the SDGs 2030 as well as “other rights and existing international law;” (ii) normative value of the UNGA resolution for universality of the environmental human rights; and (iii) impact of the human right to the environment on treaty-based international environmental obligations, and observance of human rights of individuals and inanimate objects, as well as domestic policies, legislations, and litigations.
– Bharat H. Desai, EPL Editor-in-Chief (Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, India)
– Marten Stavenga (IOS Press, Amsterdam)
– Bharat H. Desai, EPL Editor-in-Chief
Panel of speakers:
– Edith Brown Weiss, University Professor, Georgetown University Law Center, USA
– Gudmundur Eiriksson, former Judge, International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea, Iceland
– Karan Singh, former Union Cabinet Minister and Member of Parliament, India
– Kirk Junker, Professor, University of Cologne, Germany
– Jonas Ebbesson, Professor at Stockholm University, Sweden
– Ole Kristian Fauchald, Professor at University of Oslo, Norway
– Owen McIntyre, Professor, University College Cork, Ireland
– Richard Macrory, Emeritus Professor at University College London, United Kingdom
– Shailesh Nayak, Director, NIAS Bengaluru, India
– Nicholas Robinson, Professor, Pace University Law School, USA
– Victor Tafur, Pace University Law School, USA
– Philippe Cullet, Professor, SOAS University of London, United Kingdom
– Victoria Lichet, Executive Director, Global Pact for the Environment, France
– Bharat Desai, EPL Editor-in-Chief
The webinar will last maximum 2 hours.
– Global Pact Coalition
– International Council of Environmental Law
– International Union for Conservation of Nature
– Jawaharlal Nehru University
– Olof Palme International Center
Anyone who participates on Sept 20 will be able to submit questions directly to the speakers during the event.