UN Conferences on the Environment
The year 2022 will mark the 50th anniversary of the United Nations Conference on the Human Environment held in Stockholm in June 1972, otherwise known as the "Stockholm Conference." Following this first conference in 1972, the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) was established with the aim to meet the “urgent need for a permanent institutional arrangement within the UN System for the protection and improvement of the environment.” Since that historic event, a number of other significant UN conferences on the environment and sustainable development have taken place, as outlined here. In February 2021, an announcement was made with the first stage of planning for UNEP at 50 (referred to by some as Stockholm+50); read the speech of Inger Andersen (UNEP Exectutive Director) here and discover a new book about UNEP's story here. You can also join the online conversation using the hashtag #UNEP50!
UNEP was created to coordinate environmental programs within the United Nations system; to advise UN intergovernmental bodies on the formulation and implementation of environmental programs; to secure the effective co-operation of, and contribution from, the scientific and other professional communities; and to provide advisory services for the promotion of international co-operation in the field of the environment. Conferences/events leading up to or contributing towards the 2022 commemorations and progress towards achieving the sustainability goals will be added here. See:
- UNEA-5 Fifth Session of the United Nations Environment Assembly, Nairobi, Kenya (Feb 22–23, 2021)
- Leaders' Climate Summit on Earth Day (Apr 22, 2021)
- COP15, Kunming, China (Q2, 2021)
- World Environment Day, Global (Jun 5, 2021) – EPL's Our Earth Matters webinar on Jun 5 (see here) & IUCN-WCEL events starting May 31 (see here)
- World Economic Forum Special Annual Meeting, Singapore (Aug 17–20, 2021)
- Food Systems Summit, New York, USA (Sep or Oct 2021)
- COP26 UN Climate Change Conference, Glasgow, UK (Nov 9–26, 2021).
- UNEP at 50 (2022)